ANZAC Day Cup
Location: East Malvern RSL & adjacent fields
Date: 25th April 2016
The Day Cup initiative was developed as a community effort to bring the younger generation to the East Malvern RSL Dawn Service, and hopes that it will help to keep a focus for the kids on the significance of day and the sacrifices made by Australian Service men and Women during war time.
As such, it is expected that any child representing their Club in the day Cup will be in attendance at the Dawn Service, commencing at 6am at the East Malvern RSL.
- 6:00am – Dawn Service – Preference that all players and officials attend wearing (something warm) in their respective Club colours. This includes coaches and parents if possible.
- 7:15am – All attendees of the service will be invited to join the rest of the community for the Gun barrel Breakfast. All attendees will be offered BBQ breakfast, coffee and tea. A gold coin donation is requested for all of those who choose to eat.
- 8:00am – Teams will congregate on Stanley Grose Oval (immediately out the front of the RSL). At approximately 8.10am, all players and coaches will be invited to form a Guard of Honour. There will be limited number of Service men and Women who will be invited to walk down the guard of honour, shaking hands with the players and giving the kids the opportunity to show their respects.
- 8:25am - The teams will then move to their respective grounds. The Under 15 Girls Game will be played at Stanley Grose Oval, and the Boys Game will be a 100m walk away, and played on the neighbouring oval of Basil Street Reserve.
- 8:30am – 8:40am – Games will commence.
- 10:30 - 11:00 - Expected completion time
U15 Girls Game
There will be 4 teams playing for the Cup. The first game will be played between East Malvern Knights and Glen Iris Gladiators. This will be made up of 2 x 10 minute halves. The winner of this game will go straight into the final. The losers will be invited to stay and watch the final and participate in the award ceremony. The second game will be played between the Ashy Redbacks and the Camberwell Sharks. The third game will be the final between the 2 winners. In the case of a draw of any games, teams will play extra time with first to score being awarded the match.
U15 Boys Game
There will be 3 teams playing for the Cup. The first game will be played between East Malvern Knights and Glen Iris Gladiators. The second game will be played between the Glen Iris Gladiators and the Ashy Redbacks. The third game will be played between the East Malvern Knights and the Ashy Redbacks. Each game will be made up of 2 x 10 minute halves. The winner of the Cup will be determined by win / loss. If 2 teams finish of 2 wins each, the winner will be determined by percentage. In the case of a draw of any games, teams will play extra time with first to score being awarded the match.
Please note that there will be a 5 minutes half time break and a 10 minute break between each match.
Immediately following the completion of the matches, both competitions will be invited to return to the RSL Breakfast area for Presentations. The winning teams will be awarded their ANZAC DAY Cups and the best Boy and Girl awarded the ANZAC Medal (names after EM RSL war veterans – man and woman). All those who play in any of the games will also receive an ANZAC day pin from the RSL as a token of their involvement.
The field and boundary umpires will be volunteers from the De La Salle OCFC Senior teams, so as to further incorporate the Footy event across another great sector of the community.
The RSL will be putting on kids activities during the morning, and we are hoping that this will become an annual events across the 4 Clubs, with a view of keeping ANZAC Day relevant to the younger generations. All are very welcome to stay around after the games to have lunch, play 2 Up, have a few refreshments and watch the AFL from the RSL Club.